Lance Schaubert's Reviews > Dragonflight

Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey

Aug 07, 11

Read in August, 2011

At Patrick Rothfuss' suggestion, I started reading the The Dragonriders of Pern series. Dragonflight is the first in the series, and surprised me with its entertainment value and intelligence.

Pern is the smaller satellite of a planet that was settled a long time ago by the people of Earth (thus the scifi). Every so often, one of the other planets in the system inaccurately known as "The Red Star" spins off spores known as "Thread." These spores sear through flesh, scale and foilage, spreading like a parasite that threatens to consume the planet. However, the ancients bred a race of reptiles called "dragons" after the ancient terran-based creatures of mythology. These dragons can consume a phosphite rock which, in gas form, combusts mid-air. Belching fire, these dragons sear Thread from the sky and defend Pern from its ancient foe.

Book one, however, starts at the end of a four-hundred year lull in Thread activity, which means the planet is two-thousand dragons understaffed and lead by a fool who thinks that Thread stopped falling for good. But Thread begins to fall despite his denial. The Pernese need a miracle, and young Lessa thinks she can help.

I was pleasantly surprised at this series for how it blurred the lines of science fiction and fantasy. Again, I'm only on the third book, but Dragonflight certainly caught my attention early on. I'm giving it 4 out of 5 on my Goodreads account for its wit, its delicate blend of children/adult literature, it unique perspective and its place alongside Narnia and Lord of the Rings. I now understand why Rothfuss dedicated The Name of the Wind to his mother for introducing him to Narnia, Middle Earth and Pern. Go read it.

Words I Learned:

spasmodically - occurring or done in brief, irregular bursts
indolence - wanting to avoid exertion or activity; lazy
diurnal - of or during the day

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonflight.