Neil Pearson's Reviews > Leviathan Wakes

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

M_50x66
Aug 07, 11

Daniel Abraham (as one half of the amalgam author James SA Corey) is clearly on a roll this year with not only an impressive new fantasy series but a pretty impressive sci-fi series as well. This book is set in a near future where humankind has managed to colonise the solar system but does not yet have the means for interstellar travel. I like the idea of this setting as it's a stepping stone that is often forgotten about in favour of galaxy spanning adventures. This setting is used to explore how racsim would develop between colonies on different planets or low g asteroids. At its heart though Leviathan Wakes is a good old fashined soap opera and it delivers action and intrigue in spades. Things continue to escalate until it seems there won't be room for a sequel and the two lead characters are entertaining and provide conflicting perspectives on how to resolve the problem. My only real criticism would be that the "villains" are a bit too sci-fi and in many ways I think the series could have worked just as well with the politics of the different colonies coming into conflict.
The writing duo work seamlessly together (Each author handles one of the two POV characters each) and I'd be very interested to see what Ty Frank is capable on his own too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan Wakes.