Stephen's Reviews > The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies

The Party's Over by Richard Heinberg

Aug 07, 11

I will not go into my personal feelings about the book - other than to say I agree 100% with the author. His premise portrays complex industrial societies as found in North America/Europe/Pacific Rim will cease to exist as complex societies all because of geology, physics and chemistry. We are approaching Peak Oil, or have, and the energy available in alternative sources is insufficient to continue the economic growth paradigm of industrialism. The disturbing thing is the development of alternative renewable sources has not occurred in a time frame that would assure a painless transition. The political leadership is absent except for the approach, as in America, that we go to war to assure our continued access to "cheap energy." So we now control foreign sources of oil, but because of Peak Oil, what is available to tap becomes harder to reach, and hence more expensive. Renewable sources do not have the EROEI (energy invested on energy invested) to the degree that fossil fuels provide. So basically we are between a rock and a hard place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Party's Over.