Roberto Macias's Reviews > Runaway

Runaway by Alice Munro

Aug 07, 11

I am a serious fan of short stories. Like Aphorismos, I think they are a much bigger expression of prose than the long texts, since the author must be concise and convey the whole idea in a shorter text. No room for babbling. Now as for Munro, well her short stories ar insightful, langague is clean and developed, an she has a clearly piercing mind. But that's it, she does not have the lucidity of the great authors, I agree with the prologue that short stories do not get the credit they deserve, but I have read better short stories, with a more developed language. First example is Kafka, and he demonstrates why he became a classic with short stories. Let's turn to more modern authors, like Gaiman, whose subjects are entirely different from both, and his language is not nearly as developed as that of Kafka, yet he conveys more into less pages than Munro does.

Now, the recommendation I got of Munro was "she's able to write about nothing and still make it interesting". My honest opinion, she writes about important subjects, one has of course to turn to romantic writesrs who sought to make everyday life poetic, but of course they use grandeur (like Schiller), or surreal motives (Kafka). The beauty of Munro is that the stories are, in fact, every day. What I dislike is that she leaves sentiments unexplored, she has very rich characters, but she could plunge deeper into them. I consider Munro worth reading, but definetly not a must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Runaway.