Oleksiy Kononov's Reviews > Europe at War: 1939-1945: No Simple Victory

Europe at War by Norman Davies

Aug 07, 2011

Read in April, 2008

Davies's history of WWII in Europe will be a captivating reading for both western and eastern (ex-USSR and CEE) readers. The role of the Soviet Union in victory over the Nazis had indeed been underestimated in western historiography and pop-culture. On the other hand, I'd be interested to read more about the role of the Allies' supplies to the USSR. Even some Russian historians are starting to acknowledge the vital role of the Land Lease deliveries, especially in 1941-42. Unfortunately, Davies didn't dwell on that, and I think its one of the main caveats of the book. Besides, the author made some mistakes which spoiled my impression of the book. For example, at pp. 48, 135 of the 2006 Macmillan edition he writes that the USSR had been created on January 1, 1924. It's wrong, The Treaty on the Creation of the Soviet Union had been adopted two years earlier on December 30, 1922. Perhaps, the author meant the first Soviet Constitution adopted in 1924, yet again the date is wrong - the 1924 USSR Basic Law had been adopted on January 31, 1924.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Europe at War.