Dale Stonehouse's Reviews > The Fatal Gift of Beauty: The Trials of Amanda Knox

The Fatal Gift of Beauty by Nina Burleigh

Aug 12, 11

Read from August 07 to 11, 2011

Not having much advance knowledge of the murder conviction of Seattle student Amanda Knox in Italy, I had few expectations of this book. There seem to be two underlying themes: First, that Europeans generally find it impossible to believe any human being could be so naive and trusting as Amanda Knox appears, so she must be faking it. Second, that the Italian legal system seems to be simply a contest to see which side tells a more convincing story about the case and not necessarily concerning facts or evidence. Along with that there seems to be a national or racial need to make outsiders the perpetrators if possible instead of their own (white) countrymen. Does that constitute understandable ignorance? The book also concentrates on the British and Italian obsession with Amanda's attractive face and profile, perhaps because no Italian or Brit has ever been that naturally pretty. As for her being naive, I can attest that we do exist, those of us who are consistently surprised by malevolent intent and action. Fortunately, our existence does not depend on others' belief in our existence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fatal Gift of Beauty.

08/11/2011 page 276