Pamela's Reviews > The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg

The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick

Aug 07, 2011

bookshelves: c-historical, a-fic, c-action-adventure, c-humorous, 4-gr6-8-middle-sch, 4-gr3-5-upper-elem
Read in July, 2011

This is a fun story of Homer who follows after his brother to save him from seeing the elephant (battle) and certain death, after his mean uncle has sold his brother into the army illegally and underaged. Homer escapes from a root cellar, is kidnapped by slave catchers, and fed and helped along his way by an abolitionist miner Quaker. His appointed guardian forgets about him when his guardian is smitten and then swindled by a beautiful face and her “brother” and he ends up in a pig crate. He falls in with a travelling medicine show as the pig boy, escapes in a hot-air balloon from union soldiers arresting the medicine show’s leader, Dr Fleabottom, as a confederate spy, escapes from confederate soldiers arresting him as a spy by galloping away through the battle on a pony, and ends up finding his brother and following him into battle at Gettysburg. I liked the detail, humor, and period dialect. I was kept reading straight through. I think it’d make a great read-aloud as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg.