Teresa's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Aug 22, 11

Read in August, 2011

"The circus arrives without warning.

No announcements precede it, no paper notices on downtown posts and billboards, no mentions or advertisements in local newspapers. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not."

So our story begins – the circus just appearing out of the ether as did my advance review copy of this debut novel, much to my delight. The UK edition looks stunning with black edged paper and end papers illustrated with a pattern of bowlers and top hats. This is a feast for the eyes which is perhaps not surprising as the author is an artist but will the inside match the luxurious facade?

This is an odd review for me as, amid all my oohing and ahhing, I was all too aware of how some of my bookish friends would absolutely hate this book and would be cringing from the opening pages. So, best to get that elephant out of the room before I go any further! If you don’t like magical realism, if you’re not a fan of meandering narratives, if you prefer action, if you don’t like novels written in the present tense, if you don’t like fantasy then there’s nothing for you here. However, if, like me, you do like a bit of escapism, you like to slip into another world, if you enjoy visual stimulation, then step right up!

The story is perhaps the least important element of The Night Circus, that role being reserved for the circus itself but yes, there is an underlying narrative, the story of two gifted young illusionists, Celia and Marco, being pitted against each other in a lengthy battle the rules of which are vague. Le Cirque de Reves (the Circus of Dreams) is the battlefield and it soon attracts a faithful following of “reveurs” (dreamers) who follow its progress from town to town, continent to continent by means of a shadowy underground movement. There is a secondary storyline involving Bailey, a country boy who becomes linked to the circus and will have a key role in future events. There is a varied cast of weird and wonderful characters, including Celia’s villainous father, Hector, his rival, Alexander, the man in the great suit as well as the supporting cast who keep the circus going. These are not characters you expect to empathise with, this is a show after all and they are there to entertain you just as the various tents house a myriad of visually stunning scenes, the Ice Garden, the Cloud Maze, the Labyrinth etc.

Some have compared The Night Circus with Audrey Niffenegger and yes, I can see slight similarities given that both authors are visual artists. Others mention Alice Hoffman and yes, I can see some elements in common but Erin Morgenstern has created a unique world with the Cirque de Reves and for those who are on the right wavelength she has provided a pathway to a singularly enchanting universe, one in which my inner child revelled. Highly recommended for all “reveurs”/dreamers.

28 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Teresa Lukey Can't wait to see your review, this one really interests me.

Teresa I'm really enjoying it but it's my kind of book. I can see how it could be a Marmite (love it or hate it) read.

message 3: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda I am so looking forward to reading this but it is not out yet over here....very jealous you got a copy : )

DubaiReader Great review Theresa (I would have confused it with Angela Carter's Nights at the Circus which I didn't enjoy much, if I hadn't read your review!)
I'll look out for this, thanks :)

B.L. Newport This sounds like something I will really enjoy. It's been added to the wishlist. Thanks for the great review!

Teresa I did keep on thinking of that AC title whilst I was reading it although I have yet to read it. I did enjoy Wise Children.

DubaiReader Wow, just started this - the opening paragraphs are pure brilliance!!

Teresa DubaiReader wrote: "Wow, just started this - the opening paragraphs are pure brilliance!!"

Hope it continues to impress!