Toni's Reviews > The Bad Always Die Twice

The Bad Always Die Twice by Cheryl Crane

Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: kensington-arcs
Read from August 14 to 27, 2011

I'm giving "The Bad Always Die Twice" 3.5 stars.

Mystery is normally not my normal read, but I thought I would dip my toes into the water anyways. I was very pleasantly surprised! While mystery will not likely be my favorite genre, I did enjoy "The Bad Always Die Twice". With every page I had a new suspect in my head and Ms. Crane kept me guessing all the way up to the end.

Not too many people missed Rex March when he died the first time around and even less the second time. He was a philanderer and the world basically said good riddance. He was a one hit wonder who was living off an old 1970’s family comedy. Ego is the only thing Rex had and he had that in abundance. His first death was ruled as a freak accident, but his second was murder. It’s up to Nikki Harper to figure out who did it, because she knows her friend Jessica sure didn’t do it.

Nikki is the daughter of the fifties screen goddess, actress Victoria Bordeaux. Always in her mother shadow, Nikki is just fine with that and enjoys her life as a real estate agent to the stars. Being the daughter of the actress does have its perks though and sales are one of them.

Jessica Martin is a known man eater. She is a love them and use them type, not a murderer. So when Jessica comes home after a daylong real estate seminar and finds Rex, dead in her bed, she calls her best friend Nikki for support and help.

Suspects are endless; Edith March – the wife, Thompson Christopher - the wife’s new boy toy, Alex Ramirez - the slimy lawyer, Tiffany Mathews - the young jilted lover and countless others. Nikki has her hands full discovering the truth.

"The Bad Always Die Twice" is a well written mystery. Ms. Crane will keep you guessing and I enjoyed how she intertwined current events and celebrities into her story. I’m not sure if it was Ms. Crane’s intention, but the constant noting of product name dropping, stood out to me. It said to me that L.A. was extremely materialistic and in the end almost was a subplot all its own.

I really enjoyed the interaction between Nikki and her mother, Victoria. She made Victoria a real person to me. While Victoria was all glimmer and glamour, I relished in her human side. I had several laugh out loud moments with her antics. I can see myself continuing to read about Nikki’s adventures just to see what her mother is up to.

"The Bad Always Die Twice" is a decadent decent into the underbelly of glamorous Hollywood. Gossip is never ending and secrets never stay hidden for long. So grab a drink and put on your Jimmy Choos, because you want to be styling when you step into Ms. Crane’s world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Always Die Twice.