Audrey's Reviews > Farewell to the Island

Farewell to the Island by Gloria Whelan

Mar 12, 13

bookshelves: england, historical-fiction, mi, 1810s, young-adult-fiction, series, regency
Read from October 23 to 24, 2011, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** I really liked this one! A great deal of the book does take place away from Mackinac Island, but I found those parts outside of Michigan to be interesting, if not as endearing. I like James a lot, especially how much of a gentleman he is (pp. 110-113, etc.). Men in general back then seemed to have a great deal more propriety and respectfulness (at least in books :)). He does seem a bit foolish, though, in some ways. For example, having Mary climb the masthead probably wasn’t the brightest decision. I think White Hawk will win out in the end (quite naturally), but both men seem more than tolerable. I sometimes feel like rolling my eyes at yet another spunky heroine popping up in a historical fiction novel, but I like Mary and can imagine myself not enjoying the rigidity of London life much, either. I thought some of her clashes with Mrs. Cunningham were quite funny. As always, I also greatly enjoyed the historical background of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farewell to the Island.