Joy H.'s Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Sep 18, 10

bookshelves: audio-version, fiction, suspense
Read in August, 2009

I finished listening to the audio version of _The Time Traveler's Wife_ by Audrey Niffenegger_. It's a strange story about a man (Henry) who moves involuntarily from one time period to another, suddenly disappearing from one location and time period into another location and time period, sometimes many years apart. (The story tells us that Henry suffered from "Chrono-Displacement Disorder").

The writing is intelligent and thoughtful. I was compelled to keep listening. However, there were parts which lagged for me; I wish they had been edited out (e.g., art work and strange dreams). (I hate dream sequences.) I also wondered where the story was going at times. There were some sad parts that were a bit difficult to get through. All in all, it was a fascinating story.

I'm wondering how they were able to make a movie out of it. That's one movie I want to see.

PS: I gave the movie 3 Netflix stars out of 5. It was OK, but not terrific. For some reason, it didn't draw me in. The audio-book version had a more "other-world" quality than the movie, as Henry appeared and disappeared. Perhaps, in this case, one's imagination is better than seeing the real thing on film.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robin Joy, I had a really hard time with this book. It got so many rave reviews but I just found it confusing and not keeping my interest. Tough to digest.

Joy H. Robin wrote: "Joy, I had a really hard time with this book. It got so many rave reviews but I just found it confusing and not keeping my interest. Tough to digest."

Thanks for your comment, Robin. I'm glad I listened to the audio. I think it was easier to keep my forward momentum with the book. Otherwise I might have bogged down at certain points if I were reading. There were several dry spots.

It was a bit confusing at times (and a bit annoying) to follow all the the time shifts. There were so many of them interspersed throughout the story. The voices on the audio helped to keep my attention. The male voice (read by Christopher Burns) was very expressive.

Dottie Joy I loved the book -- with reservations but agree that the film fell short even though I think they did about as well as could be done with it. SOme stories simply are better left between the book covers. I will try to post a link to a marvelous discussion of the book for you to check out.

Joy H. OK, Dottie. Thanks.