Spencer's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Jun 16, 10

read on plane. Scared me senseless. Thank goodness its only bleak the first 99% of the book. I was quite relieved at the positive ending. And whats with all the fancy language egghead? What does it help a story if the reader keeps tripping over pretentious words?
The story was absolutely compelling. I have had day dreams and nightmares over the collapse of civilization and me trying to protect my vulnerable family from rapist cannibals for as long as I can remember. I did not want to read this book but felt I had to look old man trouble in the eyes. I do not like reading Moroni 9. It makes me want to puke. But I want to face my fears. Or do I get out of these stories the same thing people get out of looking at a car wreck? Is that why I look up images of rare diseases in my spare time? Is it to feel justified in a cynical worldview? Or is it to help me feel grateful, or to give me hope, or compassion? I wouldn't recommend book this to anyone, despite being amazing in its dark plausibility. So get your food storage and arsenal stash but don't think too much about why. Deal with that one when it comes. You're preparedness and your ignorance will make you happier.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.