Lane's Reviews > The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing

The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing by Tarquin Hall

Aug 20, 11

bookshelves: foreign-setting, mystery
Read in July, 2011, read count: 1

The Vishnu Puri mysteries are definitely cozies, but with a wonderful, foreign flavor. Author, Tarquin Hall, seems to know the Far East well, and I love all of the atmospheric details he incorporates into his stories. My daughter has gotten me interested in India and Indian stories, and I get a kick out of the Hindi words (there's a glossary at the back of his books) and his charming sentence structure...it is that I am hurrying, only. Some times I read out loud, just for the fun of the words rolling off my tongue (badly as I must be sounding!).

I adore the role that the detective's mom plays...Mummies aren't for being investigating! Just lots of fun, lite reading, yet well written, to my mind. flows smoothly, decent plots...at least two or three interwoven, so it breaks things up nicely.

Do read his Elephant Graveyard book if you like adventure/travelogue stories. Though it's a true story it reads like fiction; Hall is observant and funny and apparently not a whiner. very sympathetic writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case of the Man Who Died Laughing.