Ice's Reviews > Asking for Trouble

Asking for Trouble by Elizabeth Young

Aug 07, 2011

bookshelves: feel-good-reading

I'm not going to say anything like how it pleased be in the literary sense or whatnot, because really, for books like these, it's all about how they make you feel and whether you laughed and cried in the moments when the author intended for you to. This book delivered on that front, but beyond that, I really liked how, despite the ridiculous set-up and frustratingly inane characters, they still managed to feel so real. The overbearing mother hurrying her children off to marriage (not unlike Mrs. Bennett whom we all know and love to hate), the perfect beautiful sibling who can't do wrong (or can't seem to incur wrath when she does wrong), sympathetic, well-meaning but crazy friends all leading a woman at the end of her wits to compulsively lie and pass off fantasy as reality. What, for me, grounded the story and made it feel real the most was frustration, the teeth-grinding behind every silence and spaces between the words that are all coming out wrong and not at all what you mean to say but wouldn't be caught dead saying, all the pretending to not give a damn so you can maintain your bravado among your friends when you're crumbling inside. And when all goes to hell, it's the loosening of the cork and rushing out of all those little truths caught between and behind all the lies.
This will probably not set the best example for children and other women out there (despite the compulsive lying lies her happy ending--I mean, I wonder how many guys can actually stand a girl that crazy and obsessed with her weight), but as all fiction are, this tells us there is hope for us despite all our crazy moments. :)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asking for Trouble.