Kate's Reviews > Sunset Song

Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon

Aug 07, 11

I was made to read this aged 15 in English class at school. I had a terrible teacher who failed to inspire me to get the best from this novel. I'm giving it two stars because I found it incredibly monotonous being read through this in class with very little enthusiasm or interpretation being offered by my teacher and at age fifteen I was not interested enough to try and appreciate it further myself.

Now, at 23, I would be keen to try this book again and would hope that I found it more enjoyable. The story, at face value, seems interesting and readable; however, the delivery and language used was too much for me aged 15! I hope my vaguely annoyed memory of this book is proved wrong upon revisiting it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunset Song.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michael Gilchrist Haha, I was forced to read this book also when I was 15. I grew up in Inverness. Despised this book, and have no idea why young Scottish people have to read it. "You're ma own flesh and blood Chris, i'll do with ye what I please." i did remember that though..

message 2: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura do try again kate! the language does bog you down at times but the rewards are great.