Lyndsey O'Halloran's Reviews > Tempest Rising

Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs

Aug 07, 2011

bookshelves: ya

A couple of YA books have focused on Mermaids in the past but none that I have read have been anywhere near amazing as this. The day after Tempest Rising arrived, I started reading it and finished it the same day because I couldn’t put it down.

Tempest had a really strong voice from the very beginning. She is sure of herself, loves her life and knows exactly what she wants. I loved that she didn’t have any of the typical teenage girl hang ups about herself and there wasn’t any constant whining about her boyfriend being too good for her. Tempest has a great self confidence which sets a fantastic example for readers, letting them know its ok to be happy with exactly who you are. She’s extremely angry with her mother for leaving the whole family and she can’t understand the decision she made to live as a mermaid instead of as a human with her family but when Tempest begins to grow gills and the call of the water gets stronger, she realises that things may not be as easy as she once thought.

Both guys in this book are HOT. Mark, Tempest’s human boyfriend is lovely! As a surfer, he is obviously quite fit and I don’t think I would complain about seeing him in action in the water. He also is besotted with Tempest and would do anything for her, no matter how much she annoys him at times. I was really routing for Mark from the beginning but also for Tempest to treat him better. She was quite closed off around him and seemed to just run away whenever something would happen. Another thing I didn’t like about Tempest’s relationship with Mark was how quickly she dismissed him when Kona made an appearance. As soon as this sexy as hell, mysterious surfer came onto the scene, it was like Tempest forgot she even had a boyfriend. I understand that this book is all about fate concerning who/ what you are supposed to be but still, have some restraint girl!

As much as I liked Mark, when Kona appeared, my allegiance changed very quickly. There was something about Kona that drew me in so much more than Mark and maybe that was due to who he is and what he is. His presence in the book is hard to miss and I couldn’t get enough of him. He’s charming, a bit cheeky and sensitive all at the same time. Kona is also a surfer so this immediately gave him something in common with Tempest. There was definitely a spark between Tempest and Kona immediately which isn’t explained fully until later on in the book but I loved the reasoning for everything. The passion and tension between these three characters was intense and smoking hot at times. I couldn’t get enough of this love triangle.

Although so far, this book sounds like the main idea is for Tempest to choose between Mark and Kona but there was so much more to it than that. Tempest Rising has a great history and mythology of mermaids and other creatures from under the sea and this was all explained very well. Nothing is really touched upon until nearly half way through the book but I liked how Tempest was kept guessing, not knowing anything herself really, until Kona shows up and demands some answers from him. I loved learning about what went on under the water and about all different kinds of things down there and what they stood for. The history behind Tempest, her family and the problems she faces are all explained really well and because of this, I could feel what Tempest was feeling, how she was torn between two lives which she could see herself living.

Not only do we get a great love triangle with this book but an amazing baddie. Unfortunately, it isn’t all cute fish and dolphins under the sea and there is one person in particular who is determined to cause a hell of a lot of trouble. I don’t want to say too much about this part of the book as I feel it gives away quite a lot about what is really going on but I will say this, the baddie gives Ursula a serious run for her money when it comes to being evil and scary. A second book is in the works as well as a stand alone called Unplugged which I am excited about so much already!

I loved this book from beginning to end. It had me gripped from the very first page and I didn’t want to put it down at any point. Mermaids, romance, hot surfer boys and a seriously evil baddie. What more could you ask for?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Rising.