Alex Templeton's Reviews > The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth by Alexandra Robbins

Aug 07, 11

Read in July, 2011

I initially resisted picking up this book; I felt like it was going to be a simple retread of some arguments I'd read before. In many ways, it was, but it was an enjoyable read and one that I found valuable for a couple of reasons. One, I appreciated that it included Whitney, the "Popular Bitch", to explore the motivations behind being a mean girl, and the costs associated with the lack of popularity. Second, I found the book comforting. Although my small private school didn't have the rigid social groups that Robbins' subjects have in their schools, I would have still been classified as one of the "geeks": into drama, writing, and Star Trek, as well as shy and bookish. It's nice to hear someone say that my passion for my interests, as well as my ability not to want to fit into cliques, are benefiting me as an adult, something that I have found, for the most part, to be true. (I still do struggle with not fitting in sometimes, however.) I also was happy that Robbins was celebrating my favorite kind of student, as I have found the ones who are a little "weird" are also the most enjoyable to teach and know. I hope they grow up having a little more of a sense of that than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth.