Jai's Reviews > Leviathan

F_50x66
Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: read-over-and-over-again
Read in April, 2011

To tell the truth, I wasnt sure I would like this book. I mean, Im more of a elves and dragons and magic type of girl, not really steampunk, so when I got this book at the library, I saved it for last.

Ended up reading it twice and have since bought my own copies of both Leviathan and it's sequel, Behemoth. I read them all the time now. They're my favorite books.

So, an alternate WW1? Alright. The Clanker archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife are assassinated, poisoned in their sleep (Not shot, as most history books will tell you). They leave behind their son, Prince Aleksander of Hohenburg, who steals away silently in his giant walking tank...a Stormwalker. With him are his fencing master, chief engineer, a gunman, and another engineer. They are taking him to safety because, even though Alek doesnt quite know it yet, he's running from his own allies.

While this is going on, dawn breaks over a town in England, where we meet Deryn Sharp, a Darwinist girl who dreams of flying. She's devised a plan to disguise herself as a boy to join the Royal Air-Navy. Her identity is in constant danger of being discovered.

Accidents happen and by means of various circumstances, their very different worlds crash together in the Swiss Alps. If either of them are going to survive, Alek and Deryn will have to put their prejudices aside and trust each other.

Keiths art brings the story to life in a way it never could be without them!

Exiled Austrian princes and cross-dressing girls? Yes please.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.