Quinn's Reviews > Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Aug 16, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, library-book
Read from August 05 to 07, 2011

Having read the first novella in this series in the On the Prowl anthology, I rushed straight out and got this book. It goes to show that sometimes it's worth reading all the stories in an anthology because you just never know if there's a hidden gem. I got On the Prowl just for the Sunny story - and although that one was pretty much a disappointment, Alpha & Omega made it all worthwhile.

If you haven't started this series, you really must read the Alpha & Omega short story first, or you'll be feeling like you've been dropped into the middle of this one with something definitely missing. The author doesn't really give you the backstory so you'll be left a little lost to start with. Plus, Alpha & Omega is a great story in its own right.

I must confess, I haven't read the Mercy Thompson series yet, and had planned to do so before starting this one, but Alpha & Omega just left me wanting more, and this one has kept up the trend. I'm sure I'll get to the Mercy series at some stage, but I have no desire to put this one aside yet.

I enjoy Briggs' writing and am finding the world she has created and her characterisations wonderful so far. Charles is definitely a different kind of werewolf, with his Native American heritage and his quiet, mannered menace. I'm a sucker for a tortured hero, and I've found with Anna that it also works in reverse. Apparently I'm partial to a tortured heroine, too. Who would've thought?

I'm not sure how this compares to the Mercy series, but if that one's as good as this one is shaping up to be, then I'm in for a treat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry Wolf.

08/07/2011 page 294

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I like the Alpha and Omega series more than Mercy, but I still love the Mercy series as well. You can read them concurrently, by the way as the characters are in both series.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I love this series, Quinn. Like AH, I love this series more than the Mercy Thompson series. For me, it's because there is more romance in the Alpha and Omega and I just love Charles and Anna. Don't get me wrong, I love the Mercy books too. Mercy is my heroine. ^_^

Quinn AH wrote: "I like the Alpha and Omega series more than Mercy, but I still love the Mercy series as well. You can read them concurrently, by the way as the characters are in both series."

Thanks, AH. I recall you mentioning to me a while ago that they could be read concurrently, and I think you might have even recommended a reading order. It was by chance that I read the first instalment in this series, and then there was no stopping me!

Quinn Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "I love this series, Quinn. Like AH, I love this series more than the Mercy Thompson series. For me, it's because there is more romance in the Alpha and Omega and I just love Charles and Anna. Don't..."

message 5: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Aug 16, 2011 04:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn wrote: "I've heard really good things about Mercy, Jayne. I'm actually a little bit disappointed that both you and AH liked this series more than the Mercy Thompson one. I'm enjoying this so much I couldn't help but hope that the Mercy series was even better! Oh well, at least you both said you still love the Mercy series, too. :) "

Oh no, Quinn, there are people who like the Mercy Thompson books more than this one! As I said, I like this series more because it has more romance and is focused on the relationship between Charles and Anna. That's why.

In the Mercy books, it starts off with a bit of a love triangle, and relationship issues develop later on in the series. But the focus isn't so much on her relationships. It's about the plot and the relationships are just part of the story. It is UF, after all. As I said, I love Mercy! She's my hero. ^_^ She's an amazingly strong character. And I love Samuel and Adam. So, I think you'll enjoy that series, too, Quinn.

And as AH said, yes, they can be read concurrently. I mean, the first few Mercy books does happen earlier in time, so you will see a bit of Charles before he meets Anna. I think the best reading order is with date of publishing, maybe (?) because there are some crossovers, but it's not a big deal if you read this series first and then Mercy. Though I haven't read the last two Mercy books - Silver Borne and River Marked yet. There's only 2 full length Alpha and Omega novels so far, right? So 3 stories incl the novella?

Also, it's been a while since I read these but I think A&O is 3rd person, isn't it? The Mercy books are first person, if I remember right.

Keri Great review...I love both series equally for different reasons. Charles or Adam...luckily I don't have to choose I can have them both. :-)

Quinn Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Quinn wrote: "I've heard really good things about Mercy, Jayne. I'm actually a little bit disappointed that both you and AH liked this series more than the Mercy Thompson one. I'm enjoying this so ..."

I always prefer to have romance in my reads, so it sounds like this series might edge Mercy out for me, too. Plus, you're right, this one is written in third person and I prefer that over first person.

Yes, only two full length novels in this series so far, with the third one expected in February 2012 (there are 2 novellas, I think). So it looks like I might meet Mercy sooner than later!

Quinn Keri wrote: "Great review...I love both series equally for different reasons. Charles or Adam...luckily I don't have to choose I can have them both. :-)"

Thanks, Keri. Great to hear that you loved both series. I'm looking forward to Adam! :)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn wrote: "Yes, only two full length novels in this series so far, with the third one expected in February 2012 (there are 2 novellas, I think). "

Quinn Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Quinn wrote: "Yes, only two full length novels in this series so far, with the third one expected in February 2012 (there are 2 novellas, I think). "

Ah, thanks so much for that, Quinn! I've now a..."

You're welcome. I know exactly how you feel! It seems a really long time since I read a stand alone novel.

Charles is calling to me, so best I meet him in bed. 'Night, Jayne. XX

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Oohh, well, enjoy Charles in bed, Quinn! LOL G'night! XOXO

message 12: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: Ah, thanks so much for that, Quinn! I've now added it. I hadn't been keeping up with the new books for Patricia Briggs. I'm drowning in series at the moment!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* AH wrote: "Luckily for you (and unluckily for us) Patricia Briggs does take a while to write her books. You'll be all caught up on your series by the time the next Mercy and Alpha and Omega come out. "

LOL! True, AH. Lucky for me but not for you guys who are all caught up and waiting.

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I'll probably take it as an opportunity to read some of her other stuff. She has quite a few series I'd like to try.