Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Touch of Frost

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Aug 07, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, cute, general-fantasy-and-mythology, lgbtq, paranormal-romance, favorite-book-guys
Read in November, 2012

SKEPTICAL STACIA IS A LITTLE LESS SKEPTICAL TODAY.
"Bitch," she said. "That was my favorite dagger."
She had a favorite dagger? Seriously? And she thought that I was a freak.

3.5 stars. Welcome to Mythos Academy ... Warrior Academy. Oh sure, there are all kinds of mythical races present, but let's get real here : all I could see was a story about who could kick ass the most.

This is like House of Night without the raging diarrhea. Meaning : this book still has the fun adventures, but you're less likely to want to slap the hell out of each and every character. Honestly, I was sort of expecting something similar to the Covenant series because of the mythology, but this really wasn't the same thing at all. Gwen reminds me a little of Claire from Morganville Vamps (starts off klutzy and unsure of herself, but you can tell she's going to gain her footing as the series proceeds), and the relationship with Gwen and her grandmother reminded me a lot of Zoey and Grandma Redbird from HoN.

So okay, we had the insecure lead and the all-too-gorgeous male counterpart, which is pretty stereotypical for the genre, but what can I say? Even I have days when I don't mind the stereotypes. Yes, I can picture your mouths dropping open in shock at that statement coming from me. If a book hooks me, it just does, regardless of how often I've bashed the stereotypes in previous books. Call me a sucker for hot guys who can fight and love to save the damsel in distress, but Logan was pretty swoon-worthy every time he came to Gwen's aid. Cliched, maybe. But it was awfully cute.
"I think so." Logan stared at me, and a smile pulled up his lips. "But maybe you should give me mouth-to-mouth, just to make sure."
I rolled my eyes and stood up. "Do you ever think about anything besides sex?"
His smile widened. "Not when you're around, Gypsy girl."

Also, I felt like a lot of Gwen's insecurities mirrored real feelings that many of us would have had at that age. Random side note : the signing of the mattresses thing...I KNEW THIS GUY. No joke. I had a friend who did this. Not that you needed to know this info about me, but an ex of mine and I went and hooked up on that guy's bed and signed HIS mattress. Because I'm craaaazy like that.

The TENSION (oh-no-he-didn't) issue at the end of the book has me wanting to run out and grab the next book (or just download it because I'm far too lazy to run anywhere). For people who've read the series : (view spoiler) It's been a while since I've wanted to read book 2 of a series right away. Usually, I don't do this.

The few minor issues :

I didn't mind the cliches this time, but there were a LOT more of them than I'd normally like. Fortunately, the story itself made up for some of this.

Friends of mine have mentioned this author's repetitive nature with mundane details. Since this is the first book I've read, I can't confirm that this will keep happening, but I did notice a few details/scenes which were repeated unnecessarily more than once.

While the second half of the book was completely awesome, it took me a few chapters to wade past some dull scenes and silly drama. However, given the direction of the second half of the book, I feel like this series has potential to bring it in later books the way that VA did.

Overall, I'm excited to have found a new author and series to vibe on!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Frost.

message 1: by Dd (new)

Dd Great review,Stacia!!:))

Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞ i agree...great review Stacia.

Noémy That series is pretty fun but yes I have to warn you that the narration does get a little too repetitive at times. What i don't like about Gwen is how she calls people 'The Valkyrie', 'The Spartan', 'The Amazon' etc arrgh I wanna strangle her when she does lol

Kala If you continue on with the series you'll definitely notice the repetition! There are so many things that she makes sure to mention in EVERY book (like the used condoms found in the stacks at the library). And I totally agree with Noemy - the whole "The Spartan" crap gets SOOOOOOOOO annoying in the later books!

Libbie Makes me bouncy to see someone else giving this series some love. I'm absolutely dying for Crimson Frost on Christmas Eve!!!!

ItsJustMe Libbie wrote: "Makes me bouncy to see someone else giving this series some love. I'm absolutely dying for Crimson Frost on Christmas Eve!!!!"

me too! Libbie

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Great review, Stacia :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks! I'm already halfway through book 2 now, so I definitely see your points Noemy and Kala. I'd heard her Elemental Assassin series was repetitive, but wasn't sure if this one would be too. This author definitely likes to repeat unnecessary details!

Hillary That is the truth, but I cannot seem to stop reading her books. :\

Stacia (the 2010 club) Mead does it too, but she tends to do it more in a recap style, so I'm 'somewhat' less bothered by it, even if it's still a bit much.

Which series do you like better? This one or EA?

Hillary Mead does, but not neeeeeearly as much and at totally random spots...(at least not that I remember)

That is a tough question. I would have hands down said EA prior to Widow's Web (People seriously needed to be bludgeoned in that one...argh, I am still testy about it!). MA is quick and fun...in a later MA book she tosses in some EA love and I couldn't help but smile about it. I guess I like them about equally. I get different things from the each series. The repetition is something she is at least consistent in! lol

Annie Brewer I LOVED this book! Logan freaking Quinn is delish!!! Great review! :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) He so is. I have this thing for guys who seem to be tortured behind the eyes, or who give almost wistful/longing looks when they want something they can't have.

Hillary, I think I might check EA out once I make a bigger dent in my current unfinished adult UF series pile.

message 15: by Kala (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kala I still liked this series, I just had to not let the repetition and constant "The Spartan" crap get on my nerves too much :P

Noémy Kala wrote: "I still liked this series, I just had to not let the repetition and constant "The Spartan" crap get on my nerves too much :P"

Same here ;D and I'm very excited for the release of Crimson Frost :I've heard it's the best so far in the series

message 17: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Dec 01, 2012 11:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Ahhh...book 2 ....is the wolf (view spoiler)

My guesses seem to be sucking though.

*edit* I was only half right.

message 18: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Logan does sound pretty swoon-worthy, even if he is stereotypical, lol. Great review, Stacia. I've seen this series around for ages but never thought to pick it up until now.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Rachel. :)

message 20: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom I have been debating reading this series for a while, after your review I think I'll give it a try. Thanks

message 21: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Excellent review Stacia! I'm a huge fan of JE's Elemental Assassin series! I have the first 2 books in this series, I'll have to read it soon.

message 22: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Dec 19, 2012 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) I hope to get to her EA series soon. Thanks both of you. :)

Elaine I've been putting this on hold forever, maybe it's time to finally start... I really hope the cliches won't be too bothersome though.

Stacia (the 2010 club) For whatever reason, I wasn't bothered with this book the way I usually am.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Nice review! I'm about 1/2 way through and not completely sold yet.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It's very fluffy, which would normally drive me crazy but I adore Logan, so I love reading for him. And it's fun.

I hope this gets better for you. :)

Linda Jaejoong Gwen is really like Claire ♥

Stacia (the 2010 club) She really is at the start.