Ron's Reviews > The World According to Garp

The World According to Garp by John Irving

M 50x66
Aug 06, 11

Where do I start? Even by his standard, the strangest Irving. What a wonderful collection of characters, every one unique, memorable and believable. And such a collection of themes too: gender differences, fatherhood, lust, etc. As with several of his wondeful novels, this is staying with me, exercising my brain and imagination after I completed the reading.

I identified with Garp more than with any other Irving character: as a father who has been known to over-react and cannot resist responding to opposing views, I too can be "intolerant of the intolerant"!

And so why not the full five stars as I've given three of his others? It's churlish to find fault with such a masterpiece, but the ending, after Garp's death seemed almost unnecessary, redundant somehow; I didn't feel I needed to know what happened to every other character in the years that followed. Maybe that's not a good enough reason to with-hold half a star, but somehow it did not feel like a perfect masterpiece, although definitely a masterpiece.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World According to Garp.