Cathy 's Reviews > The Mortal Bone

The Mortal Bone by Marjorie M. Liu

Mar 13, 2012

bookshelves: people-of-color, read-in-2012, fantasy, paranormal, urban, romance
Read from March 12 to 13, 2012

I love the series. I might be a bit hesitant about all of the different pieces of Maxine's heritage that we keep finding out about, it's getting to seem a bit much. In addition to the major story about "the boys," and Maxine and her mother's line being their prison for over one thousand years, she also has some scary dark power inside her (a god?), Jack is her grandpa, and now there's this stuff with her dad. The stuff with her dad in this book is really interesting and it does explain a lot going right back to the beginning of the series with the labyrinth and the armor, it's fun to look back and see how the pieces fall into place. So far Liu does seem to be pulling it together in a way that makes sense and feels logical and very much planned and not like one of those authors that gets so caught up in having cool monsters and demons and gods and stuff that she just throws everything into the book whether it serves the story or not. Liu has always been thoughtful and masterful in her storytelling, so I'm going to trust that she's taking me somewhere terrific and just go with it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mortal Bone.

03/12/2012 page 60
21.0% "Maxine gets separated from her "boys," the most dangerous demons ever and her main protection. Great twist."