R. August's Reviews > The Desert Spear

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

Aug 06, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in August, 2011

Funny how this book was just as misogynistic as Game of Thrones, yet this one gets itself 5 stars. Every time I try to articulate why this is I've had problems. "The misogyny in this book is more acceptable." No, misogyny isn't acceptable. "The misogyny was more integral to the plot." No, authors have complete control over what they write and Brett could easily have written a fantasy novel without it. "It simply didn't bother me that much." While it is true, I feel uncomfortable admitting to it and won't accept that as a reason. Perhaps because Brett built a world where it was easy to understand how and why the misogyny came about, and despite that there were any number of fully developed, strong, intelligent, female characters - as opposed to Game of Thrones which lacked any character development, and though there were female characters it felt as if they were tacked on as opposed to integral parts of the world as was the case with Brett. Maybe it was just because the book was so much better written, though this book suffered from some of the same faults as GoT - phrases being used a little too often, the editor not catching when one character accidentally used someone else's plot-specific catch phrase, etc. All in all, a very good read and I can't wait till 2012 when the next installment comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Desert Spear.