Heidi's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Aug 21, 2011

Read from August 06 to 16, 2011

Four stars: Highly recommend this book.
Wow! What a pleasant surprise this book turned out to be. The old adage don't judge a book by it's cover is definitely pertinent for this book. When I first saw the cover I thought, I don't want to read that book it is probably some creepy, horror story. You do have to admit the cover is a little disturbing, Then I started seeing all to the positive reviews and thought I would give it a whirl. I am so glad I did. The story was so creative and different. I throughly enjoyed it until the always disappointing cliffhanger ending!
What I liked:
*This book is mysterious from page one. You are not certain where the story is going to take you but you are sucked right in as you begin on an intriguing adventure. The book moves at the perfect pace not too fast or slow but just enough to keep the reader hooked.
*All the different facets of the story; such as peculiar orphans each with their own unique talent, shape shifters, monsters, temporal distortions and adventure.
*I loved meeting each of the orphans and discovering their special talents. From the invisible boy to the floating girl they were all interesting. Not to mention they each had their own vintage photo.
*The time loop was such a different aspect that was integral to the story.
*The photos were a pleasing and unconventional aspect to this book. I was surprised when I read the author's note at the end regarding the photos. They are actual vintage photos from various flea markets and other interesting places.
*The language and writing in this book are superb. The author has a way with words that is mesmorizing. I was completely enamoured by his descriptions.
*The main character Jacob, I adored this sarcastic teenager, he had me laughing out loud at his numerous snarky comments. I was pleased to monitor his growth throughout the book.

And the not so much:
*The cliffhanger ending of course, I had a sinking feeling as I neared the end of the book that I was in for the disappointment of non-resolution. To make matters worse there was no mention of this being a series so I was not prepared for the ending.
*Unfortunately reading this book on a Kindle does not do it justice. The photos and letters are difficult to discern on the Kindle's screen. This is a book that you should read the physical copy. They are too many details that you cannot absorb on the Kindle or any electronic reader.
* I was sad that I didn't get to spend more time with the Grandfather character in this book. Especially when you discover all of his secrets and personality dimensions. Perhaps there will be more of him in an upcoming book.

Final thoughts this is definitely a must read book in my opinion. I throughly enjoyed the book until the abrupt ending. The writing is absolutely amazing, truly my favorite part of the book. This is an innovative story and I am hoping for the continuation in the near future. It would have been a five star read if not for the cliffhanger ending.
Addendum: After finishing the book and my review yesterday I was curious about a sequel so I visited Mr. Riggs website http://www.ransomriggs.com/ ; he notes that there is a sequel coming but it sounds as if it is going to be awhile!
55 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

08/14 page 89
08/14 page 89
26.0% "So far I love this book. The writing is phenomenal!"
08/15 page 146
42.0% "This book keeps getting more interesting."
06/07 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Misty Ramirez I totally agree with your review of this book :)

message 2: by Hope (last edited Feb 10, 2013 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Frey-white I am using this formy 7th/8th grade Book choice for our Book Club! Your review was spot on! It was a very clever book and the author's wording is amazing! The descriptions and humor gives you clarity of the island and makes the character a believable 16 year old! LOVE THIS BOOK! I read this book almost 2 years ago and told everyone this would be a hit! Also I did read this on my Nook and I just bought 10 books for my book club and I HIGHLY recommend buying the book...I missed out on all the pictures and letters!

Heidi I totally agree, Hope. I read it on my Kindle and I think this would be far better as a physical book. You just reminded me I need to track down an ARC for the sequel. It is supposed to release this summer!

Bonnie Publication date actually got postponed until January 2014. Boo.

Heidi Well that sucks!

Bonnie I know! I've been really looking forward to that one.

Hope Frey-white I wonder if I can get discussion notes for this book? Any suggestions? I'm taking notes for my book club so I can discuss with my students but it would be nice to have something from the author!

Bonnie I couldn't find anything on the publishers site but found these Discussion Questions: http://www.litlovers.com/reading-guid...

Heidi Well that is just lame, maybe he is looking for more vintage photos. Did you see the new White Trash Zombie cover?

message 10: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Frey-white Thanks Bonnie! This will be useful!

Bonnie Heidi wrote: "Well that is just lame, maybe he is looking for more vintage photos. Did you see the new White Trash Zombie cover?"

Yes, isn't it amazing?? All of those covers in that series have been fantastic. I can't wait. :D

Bonnie Hope wrote: "Thanks Bonnie! This will be useful!"

Hope so! :)

Veronica I agree the cover is deceiving.