Debbie's Reviews > The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains

The Shallows by Nicholas Carr

Aug 06, 11

Read in August, 2011

Be afraid. Be very afraid. If you are reading this, you are on the internet and being distracted by ads, links, facebook notifications, etc. I can't compete with this "ecosystem of interruption technologies," but I'll try. The Shallows is a must read for parents, teachers, and those who truly appreciate the linear, imaginative, sustainable qualities of losing oneself in a good book or well-written article/essay. I may now cheer that I don't suffer from Alzheimer's after all, but "working memory overload" instead. Carr certainly did his homework and highlights multiple studies on how the brain differently reads books versus the internet, the history of technological tools and their impact on not only society as a whole, but on how we read, write, and think, and even devotes an entire chapter on "The Church of Google." The prognosis isn't good. For all the good the internet does, can we be on the verge of a snippet here and a snippet there of superficial learning? The author makes for a compelling argument that although there is no going back, perhaps, like most things, we can have too much of a good thing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shallows.