Diane Wilkes's Reviews > My Year with Eleanor

My Year with Eleanor by Noelle Hancock

Aug 14, 11

Read from August 06 to 14, 2011

Yes, I'm obsessed with Eleanor Roosevelt. Yes, I love memoirs that aren't about navel-gazing, but about a life (or a life-so-far) that contains multitudes. My Year with Eleanor by Noelle Hancock is all this and more.

Told with scrupulous honesty and charming, often self-deprecating humor, My Year with Eleanor is Noelle Hancock's year of doing one thing a day that she fears--based on a quote by--you guessed it--Eleanor Roosevelt. Sometimes it's a physically daring activity-like performing on a flying trapeze (literally), or actually piloting a flying machine (aka an airplane). Sometimes it's a bit less dramatic, like running down an apartment hall in her underwear.

But there are other things Noelle dares to do--like telling her whole story, including a dependence on sleeping pills and questions about her relationship with "Matt," her long-term beau.

And along the way, she teaches us to be brave. My favorite quotation, ironically, isn't from Eleanor but from Noelle herself: "Procrastination is the lazy cousin of fear." That is a line I am pasting to a mirror and my computer.

This is my favorite book of the year. Read it and find yourself living your live with a little more daring. And personal integrity. And, as Al Franken says, "with jokes" (one of Hancock's acts of courage was performing stand-up).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Year with Eleanor.

08/07/2011 page 141
46.0% "Loving this book SO hard. Partly because of my Eleanor Roosevelt obsession, but also the author is so honest and charming."