Gretchen's Reviews > Indigo: In Search of the Color That Seduced the World

F_50x66
Aug 07, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from August 06 to 07, 2011

This book is basically a memoir of the author's pursuit to discover indigo, a deep blue dye made in the traditional African manner. She goes to Africa in pursuit of this. Throughout the book and her stories in Africa, the author weaves in information about the history of indigo and its effects on African culture, economy, etc. It was interesting to learn about how important cloth is to African culture. However, the history, etc of indigo is not very deeply explored, I thought. Since it is interspersed throughout, I never really felt like I got a full picture of the history, especially the chronology of it's growth and decline in importance. So I wished the author had made this a bit more of a research/historical book. But her stories and experiences were interesting though again, I never really understood her passion and obsession for indigo. She would often say things like "indigo is love" and while I sort of got that, I also sort of didn't. But since it was more of a tale of discovery for the author, I accepted her feelings on this. I found the character of Eurama to be the most interesting person in the book.

I received this copy of the book from one of the Goodreads giveaways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indigo.

08/07/2011 page 197