Stacey's Reviews > Wide Awake

Wide Awake by David Levithan

Aug 09, 11

Read from August 06 to 09, 2011

Ah, David Levithan is one of those authors that I can sit down and read and read and read. His poetic style just sucks me in, and makes me feel like tattooing his work all over me. Such is the case here, in a future society when a gay Jewish president is elected, and then has to fight to hold onto his win.

The story is from high schooler Duncan's POV, who is also gay and Jewish, and very much in love with his boyfriend Jimmy, who insofar as I can tell, is a black-hispanic kid of the same age. As with a lot of Levithan's lead characters, Duncan is unsure about where he really stands with Jimmy as a boyfriend, as they both work on the candidate's campaign.

It's really well done, though some of his future inventions (like the non-mall, where instead of buying the stuff you see, you donate the money you would have spent to charity; not a bad idea, but I highly doubt it would ever really fly) and people (like Gus, who seems to be a little bit stereotypical gay and crazy, kind of like Infinite Darlene in Boy Meets Boy) drive me a little bit nuts.

The story is all about who makes history and how, and it's really fantastic for that, as well as the depiction of love in all its permutations. This isn't my *favorite* Levithan book, but it's a damn good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wide Awake.

08/06/2011 page 31