Michelle's Reviews > Cherished

Cherished by Kim Cash Tate

Aug 06, 2011

bookshelves: christianfiction, forreview, forpleasure, blog-tour-book
Read in October, 2011

More like 4.5 stars, but not quite there so I rounded it down.

I have a lot of thoughts about this book. Mostly good. First of all, it made me cry a few times. Yeah, like the tears rolling down your cheeks kind. I get a bit misty eyed sometimes when I read, but not usually real tears. I have never suffered like Kelli had, but there was just something about her grief and healing that was very inspirational. I loved how the characters all focused so much on prayer and seeking God's will for their lives... even for the seemingly minor stuff. We should all be like that. Sadly, we aren't. It made me think of "The Cosby Show" from the 80s and how it was criticized by some as being unrealistic. The way I saw the show was the it introduced to viewers how families could communicate and act. Not that families did that, but it was an inspirational example to me when I was a teen.

But life tends to be more like the "Roseanne" show from the 80s. Kids are snarky and disobedient and the communication is anything but positive. I couldn't stand to watch that show when I was a teen because everyone was so disrespectful. So the author did a Cosby spin on what could have played out like a Roseanne show. People could have been more hateful, rude and ugly. They could have wanted to make the other person suffer to the extreme. But how do you show healing that way? So technically some things wrapped up in a fairly tidy fashion...probably tidier than they would in real life. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be inspirational in that it shows how people can support each other, pray for each other, forgive each other, etc. Yes, there were imperfect characters and realistic scenarios, but healing was the emphasis in this novel. I couldn't help admiring that.

I found the romantic aspects of the novel quite good. I loved how realistic Heather's emotions were and how her transformation was truly a miracle. If Heather had been real, I'm not thinking things would have played out quite as nicely. She became kind of child-like in her innocence, but then again, she was "born again" and that is supposed to give us all a fresh start. In real life the baggage tends to sneak back and hang on more than it did in Heather's life, but I still admired her. I hope there is a third book starring Heather. And I adored Logan. I want to see how her life plays out in a third book. Please?

The message regarding Kelli and Miles was good. Faith is important in any relationship. Do you really want to be praying for the man you love for years hoping he will go to church with you and find God? If you love Jesus, is loving Him and hoping the man you love will change when that man doesn't love Him, too? I also loved the realism with the guy Ace. There are some wolves in sheep's clothing out there (ironically I have a book with this title myself) and that was how I saw Ace, the drummer. Sadly, many women who are band chasers give them what they shouldn't, and this just perpetuates the sin.

It's hard to say more without posting any spoilers. I loved the men in this book. How I wish all men were the same way. But one can dream, right? Thankfully I have a great husband myself. If nothing else it shows single Christian women what a man can be like and to aim higher than just accepted love on a surface level.

Last, the coolest message in this book was the one about taking risks. If we keep our pain to ourselves, there is no healing. If we keep our healing to ourselves, then we can't help others to heal. The message is clearly that God wants us to humble ourselves so He can use us, even our mistakes and bad choices, to help others know Him more. That's my review and I'm sticking to it. All in all, a great book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cherished.

10/02/2011 page 86