Ann's Reviews > The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents. One Unconventional Detour Around the World.

The Lost Girls by Jennifer Baggett

Aug 06, 2011

Read from August 06 to 16, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was wary of the "author has one year to fulfil their objective" angle, since it's been popularized by titles like Eat, Pray, Love and The Happiness Project. I found, however, that it didn't feel as "stunt-like" to me as those other books. Most importantly, unlike Elizabeth Gilbert and Gretchen Rubin, I found these girls (women, sorry) relatable. I liked them. There was no pretension, no moral platitudes, no whining about the wonderful things and/ or people in their privileged lives that made them unhappy (ahem, Gilbert & Rubin). The premise here was simple: a chronicle of three twenty-something girls' year of backpacking around the globe. It didn't aim to make me work on my own life by following their example, it only made me, well... jealous. Anyone who's travelled abroad and lived out of a pack (or maybe especially those who haven't) will yearn to do what these girls (women, sorry) did-- leave their jobs and travel to exotic places for an entire year. If you think you'd enjoy a year off work to hit the trail with two good friends on either arm, you should give this a read. One disappointment: I would have enjoyed seeing a picture or two. My imagination did a good job, but I wouldn't have minded a gallery at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Girls.