Kate's Reviews > Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House

Home Comforts by Cheryl Mendelson

Apr 05, 08

bookshelves: desperate-attempts-at-self-improvem, reference
Recommended for: anyone who can learn from an obsessive compulsive lawyer

I got this book in a used bookstore for five bucks. I NEVER would have paid full price for it, but for five bucks, I figured it was worth it. Full disclosure: I am a slob. If there is something in my path, I will step over it for months before it will occur to me that I could pick it up. Before obtaining this book, I had no idea what a dustmite looked like or how many billions of the little critters I have squirming around in my pillow every night. It never dawned on me that my living room drapes could use a good vacuuming. I never gave the temperature of my laundry water a moment's thought. With the precision of an extreeeemely obsessive compulsive attorney (which, it just so happens, she is), the author of this book explains the proper way to clean, scour,wash, dust and vacuum everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, in your living space, including your dog. She also explains how often you oughta do it, which, for me, is quite frankly, not so often. But when it's springtime in Chicago, and the starling is in the tree, and the urge to suction the dust bunnies off my baseboards hits, I now know exactly how to do it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home Comforts.