Ann's Reviews > The Longevity Project: Surprising Discoveries for Health and Long Life from the Landmark Eight-Decade S tudy

The Longevity Project by Howard S. Friedman

F 50x66
Aug 11, 11

Read from August 08 to 11, 2011

Huh. Fascinating perspective on many simple beliefs of our society. Reminds me of Freakonomics in the way things are connected unexpectedly. It starts a bit dry, and definitely could have been better edited. This is one of those books that I might just recommend to my doctors, counselor or just someone that wants a different perspective of our society. Almost feel like reading again to get the full exposure.

One of the takeaways that I enjoyed was the idea of our society's desire to give you commands to live longer, like to exercise or eat less, etc. just aren't that effective nor helpful. For example, running an hour a day if you don't like running will likely extend your life just long enough as the time it took you to exercise. So find more active activities (for you) that you enjoy doing and that you're likely to do with little resistance.

"... But having a large social network, engaging in physical activities that naturally draw you in, giving back to your community, enjoying and thriving in your career, and nurturing a healthy marriage or close friendships can do more than add many years to your life. "

Either way, interesting, very interesting...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Longevity Project.