Jennifer's Reviews > The Bucolic Plague: How Two Manhattanites Became Gentlemen Farmers: An Unconventional Memoir

The Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

1199068
Aug 06, 2011

bookshelves: memoir
Read in January, 2011

Brief Description: The subtitle pretty much sums up the book: “How Two Manhattanites Became Gentleman Farmers.” After stumbling upon the rundown but filled with potential Beekman Mansion near Sharon Springs, NY, Kilmer-Purcell (former drag queen turned advertising guru) and his partner Dr. Brent Ridge (who at the time was working as “Dr. Brent” for Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia) impulsively decide to purchase the mansion and the surrounding 60 acres and become weekend farmers. Their experiences are chronicled in this highly amusing memoir.

My Thoughts: This was a such fun read! This is just how I like my memoirs: a writer with a wicked sense of humor, a “fish out of water” story (Kilmer-Purcell’s account of transporting a flock to baby goats to appear on Martha’s television show was downright hilarious), and celebrity close encounters (mostly with Martha Stewart herself, who Kilmer-Purcell regards with a mix of wonder, admiration, snark and disbelief). Mixed in with the light-hearted and humorous account of their farming experiences is the story of a relationship that starts to flounder due to financial strains and a schedule that leaves little time for togetherness. The fact that Kilmer-Purcell and Ridge ended up making a reality show about the Beekman (called The Fabulous Beekman Boys and airing on Planet Green) after this book was released was a relief to me, as I was rooting for this couple to stay together and continue making the Beekman a successful working farm. A delight from start to finish, I would highly recommend this book to just about anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bucolic Plague.