John's Reviews > Mao: The Unknown Story

Mao by Jung Chang

Aug 06, 11

Clearly written to puncture the hundreds of fabricated details of Mao's rise and reign, the biography too often has the feel of a vendetta. The horror of Mao's leadership - sadistic, cruel, sickening...the modifiers could be endless - should shock us all, and the Chang and Halliday have done a remarkable service in producing this incredibly detailed book based on hundreds of interviews and source texts. Scholars will come back to their research again and again and again. I do feel, though, that the book is missing something key. It fails to establish the broader context of China as a whole that enabled the Communists to come into power and enact policies such as the Anti-Rightest Campaign and Cultural Revolution. Chang's other book, Wild Swans, does this brilliantly, as she tells the story of how her mother was caught up in the zeitgeist of mid-twentieth century China. This biography, though, glosses the national mood, the cultural changes, and the history of prior rulers. While I admire the authors' work, I just wished it had been a notch better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mao.