Kelly's Reviews > Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc

Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain

May 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012-book-club-books
Read from May 15 to 26, 2012

"I like Joan of Arc best of all my books; and it is the best; I know it perfectly well. And besides, it furnished me seven times the pleasure afforded me by any of the others; twelve years of preparation, and two years of writing. The others needed no preparation and got none." --Mark Twain

With a review like that from the author himself, what more can I say?
But from what I've read, reviews of this work do seem split. Some call it "a quite, boring book," expecting perhaps something more like Twain's more famous writings. Others consider this book "excellent storytelling and a tribute to the famous saint and symbol."

The thing that no one seems to mention, however, is the religious nature of the narrative. Do you or do you not accept that Joan was visited and guided by angels? If you do, then the story holds together wonderfully as a tribute to the purity of spirit of Joan. If you don't accept the angelic visions and visitations, the story might come off as an unbelievable tale over this young woman.

In other words, what you make of the book may largely depend on what you bring to it. Twain's characteristic humor and irony come through in a few careful places, showing the unmistakeable skill and intelligence of the author. While wonderfully written and excellent storytelling, this is a very different read than most of Twain's other work (from what I hear) but in MY opinion, is worth the read.

*{I might write more about this book after my book club meets to discuss it.}

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc.

05/22/2012 page 481

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Logan (new)

Logan Tanner This sounds interesting. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Kelly I'll let you know!