Rubi Jayne's Reviews > Serial

Serial by Jack Kilborn

Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: horror, borrowed, short-50p-or-less
Read on August 06, 2011

I heard a lot of bad things about this book and, well, I'm the sort of masochist that reads the comments on news articles online. I was both pleased and disappointed by this book.

To begin with, I loved the basic idea of the story, which is what drew me to borrow a kindle and read it. Despite the many bad things I'd heard, I found the story to be well written, especially considering it was a collaboration. I was impressed by the fact that I couldn't tell where the influence and/or actual writing of the authors switched off from one to the other. The entire story flowed even when the POV shifted between Donaldson and Lucy.

That having been said, I didn't find it frightening in any way. In fact, I found myself chuckling at the predictability of the two killers and the TSTL victims. I also found myself frustrated that there weren't more details in all the parts that others have said were "too gruesome", "too gory", and "too violent". It felt like I was being teased. If you're going to put that much effort into writing about torturing someone, at least get into it thoroughly.

Or maybe that's just me.

In the end, I waffled between 2 stars (because of the predictability and lack of details) and 3 stars (because it was well-written and the collaboration was executed beautifully and seamlessly) and finally decided on 3 stars simply because the way it ended made me laugh.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serial.

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy The ending made me laugh also, those assholes! :) I'm especially happy they didn't end up hooking up or something equally cliche.

Shae This is pretty much how I feel about the book. Only I gave it two stars because I felt the ending was somewhat dull and could have been way better.