Ann's Reviews > The Flight of the Phoenix

The Flight of the Phoenix by R.L. LaFevers

Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: animals, childrens-stories, fables, fantasy, friendship, mythology, middle-grade, series
Recommended for: Early beastologists :)
Read from August 06 to 09, 2011, read count: 1

Nathanial Fludd comes from a very long line of adventurers, dating all the way back to the 1400s. But, when his parents don't return for him after one of their adventures, Nathanial begins to wonder if maybe the adventure spirit somehow skipped him.

But, such questions are put to the test when his parents are declared "lost as sea" and he's sent to live with his relative - not only an adventurer, but a beastologist as well.

What follows is a story of acceptance, finding out what you're good at, and succeeding despite the odds.

I really enjoyed this book. For being so small (the book is only 130-odd pages, including illustrations), and for having so few words to go on, I felt an instant attachment to young Fludd and was curious how the story would progress.
I'm not sure I felt that the same detail was present for the entirety of the book, though, and towards the end I started to realize how many things were not going to be explained. Given this, I feel it's a little hard to fairly award a star ratting. My guess (and hope) is that this book (for me), while only a three star for a stand-alone, would get bumped up to a four-star taken as part of the series. But, until I read any of the other titles in the series, I can't really say for sure...

I also enjoyed the illustrations. I thought those of Nathanial were the best, but the others were suitable - even if not my particular style - and I liked that it was easy to tell which were illustrations and which were "Nathanial's drawings."

But, definitely a sweet little book, and entertaining enough for me to want to look up the next installment.

*****

Found on sale at a lovely little local bookstore!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flight of the Phoenix.

08/07/2011 page 30
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn Oooh! You started this already. Cool! :-)

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann Yup ;>

Kathryn Ann wrote: "Yup ;>
You should read it when I'm done for the MG stuff :) Plus, so far it's pretty cute!"

Thanks! :-)

Kathryn Oooh! Glad it turned out to be such an enjoyable (and fast!) albeit not quite perfect read. And a fun souvenir from Ashland, too! ;-) I'll add this to my list!

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann Lol! You summed it up pretty much perfectly :D

Kathryn Ann wrote: "Lol! You summed it up pretty much perfectly :D

And yeah, you can take it tonight if you want - I'm sure you'll get through it super fast :)"

Thanks! I'll probably wait until I finish a few books first. I have too many going right now :-/

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann I have SO many I'm "reading" at the moment - like eight or something! :\

Kathryn Ann wrote: "I have SO many I'm "reading" at the moment - like eight or something! :\"

Woah! Well, when I count the ones I am stalled in, I probably have about that many, too! Otherwise, I think I have five!!!!

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann Well yeah, I was counting the one's that are more "stalled" as well. So, if I'm counting the ones that I'm actually "reading" then it's more like three (blushes)

Kathryn Thanks so much for passing this along to me, Annie. It was adorable, even if I was left wanting much more than was delivered.

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann No problem! I thought you'd enjoy the little hero well enough :)

But yeah, I felt the same way about "wanting more." Hopefully in the next book.