Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: 5-stars
Read from September 05 to 06, 2011

I have been dying to read this book, but I purposefully kept putting it off because the sequel doesn’t come out until September 15th, 2011. I had heard that this book left off on a cliffhanger, and I didn’t think I could stand the agony of waiting for two whole months. Originally, I wanted to read Fifty Shades of Grey two days before the sequel released. I had a game plan and everything, but last night I cracked. I just couldn’t wait any longer. Now, I have 8 more extremely long days to go until the sequel comes out. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. I NEED MORE CHRISTIAN AND ANA. (Yes, I am using shouty capitals. I can’t help it!) Obviously, I have some issues with patience. I may need an appointment with Dr. Flynn J(Read the book, you’ll get it!)

Since I can’t read the sequel, Fifty Shades Darker, right now, I guess I will go ahead with the second best thing: I’ll talk about the first book in the Fifty Shades series, Fifty Shades of Grey.

Fifty Shades of Grey was an educational introduction to BDSM literature.

I was pleasantly surprised by the witty banter between Ana and Christian. Their interactions, especially their emails, are honest, sexy and hilarious. I also very much enjoyed Ana’s subconscious and her inner goddess, especially when they were at war with one another. HYSTERICAL! Because this novel is extremely intense and dark at times, this lighter, comical side was much needed and appreciated.

Is Fifty Shades of Grey a romance?
Not in the classical sense.

Christian Grey is your gorgeous, wealthy, adventurous “hero”. He’s also your dark, unreadable, unpredictable, controlling and tortured “villain”. He’s into some interesting and peculiar things (floggers, gags, bonds, ties, etc.). After Christian meets Ana, he clearly states, “I’m not a hearts and flowers kind of man, I don’t do romance. My tastes are very singular. You should steer clear of me.” For most girls romance would be hearts and flowers, but for Ana every smile, laugh, and endearment from Christian is a romantic gesture (because coming from him they are rare and special).

Christian and Ana have a unique relationship with their own set of rules. (Literally, their own set of typed up rules. Which I might add, I found mighty fascinating to read.) Their relationship is complicated. Ana is innocent, sweet and naïve. She wants your traditional relationship. Christian wants a Submissive. Together they try and meet in the middle and reach a compromise. I will admit, I was fascinated with Christian’s lifestyle; it’s intriguing and disturbing. But is Ana capable of being who Christian wants her to be? Is that the right lifestyle for Ana? And is Christian even capable of love?

I gave Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James 5 STARS. I really enjoyed this dramatic tale. I recommend this novel to adults who are looking for an EXTREMELY EROTIC, CRAZY TWISTED AND SOMEWHAT ROMANTIC TALE. (Note: if strong language, nudity or graphic sex bothers you or freaks you out then this is not the book for you. This novel is extremely graphic and should only be read by adults. This is NOT a young adult novel.)

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING

Quotes Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream Liked

E.L. James
“- "Why don't you like to be touched?"
- "Because I'm fifty shades of fucked-up, Anastasia”
E.L. James, Fifty Shades of Grey

E.L. James
“Does this mean you’re going to make love to me tonight, Christian?” Holy shit. Did I just say that? His mouth drops open slightly, but he recovers quickly.
“No, Anastasia it doesn’t. Firstly, I don’t make love. I fuck… hard. Secondly, there’s a lot more paperwork to do, and thirdly, you don’t yet know what you’re in for. You could still run for the hills. Come, I want to show you my playroom.”
My mouth drops open. Fuck hard! Holy shit, that sounds so… hot. But why are we looking at a playroom? I am mystified.
“You want to play on your Xbox?” I ask. He laughs, loudly.
“No, Anastasia, no Xbox, no Playstation. Come.”… Producing a key from his pocket, he unlocks yet another door and takes a deep breath.
“You can leave anytime. The helicopter is on stand-by to take you whenever you want to go, you can stay the night and go home in the morning. It’s fine whatever you decide.”
“Just open the damn door, Christian.”
He opens the door and stands back to let me in. I gaze at him once more. I so want to know what’s in here. Taking a deep breath I walk in.
And it feels like I’ve time-traveled back to the sixteenth century and the Spanish Inquisition.
Holy fuck.
E.L. James, Fifty Shades of Grey

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dana: Read, Eat, Dream Well, What did you think about this book?

Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream Working on my review now. It's not an easy one to put together. It was educational, fascinating and disturbing. I loved Ana's subconscious and inner goddess (that cracked me up). Loved their e-mails to each other. I loved every ounce of sweetness and happiness we get from Christian. I am dying to read the next one.

I am wondering if Kate's brother is going to actually move in with Ana and Kate. I am curious to see if he is going to be a more important player in the next novel.

And what is going on with Christian at the end? That phone conversation was interesting... I want to know what he is talking about!! Basically...I REALLY need the next book!

So yeah, I guess I liked it :)

Dana: Read, Eat, Dream Oh, I loved the subconscious vs. inner goddess too! I also loved their back and forth banter through emails! Those things gave a playful side to a book that would have otherwise been too disturbing. I am also curious as to how things will play out in the end! Good thing we don't have to wait that long!:)

Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream I know!! I'm so glad it's not a long wait. The only thing I'm worried about is that this is book 2 of a trilogy....so the next wait is probably going to be pretty painful. But at this point I just need more...so I'll gladly take what I can get!

message 5: by Fred (new) - added it

Fred Hi there! Didn't know if you'd seen this article, thought you might get a kick out of it. It seems kind of mean to "out" her identity this way, but hopefully no harm done! Anyhoo, the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...

Morgan: Read, Eat, Dream E.L. James is AMAZING!! <3 her!