Stephanie's Reviews > The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality

The Mountain of Silence by Kyriacos C. Markides

Aug 25, 11

bookshelves: christian
Read from August 06 to 24, 2011

Love this book for its jewels of wisdom. Here are a few passages from Father Maximos that I loved:

"Each person leads a life in accordance to his or her providentially assigned life's task. A leg cannot tell a hand 'I do not need you', neither can an eye to an ear. When we raise the question 'who is contributing more?' the very nature of the question is problematic. Why? Because we must not evaluate human beings on the basis of their contributions and utility to society, but on the basis of who they are individually. Everybody contributes accordingly. Nobody can see the liver working inside the body. Yet its contribution is monumental. The heart works ceaselessly and quietly, yet without its function the body dies."

"The Bible would be inadequate by itself to lead us toward God. Without the experience and testimony of the saints about the reality of God, the experience would be an 'empty letter'. "

Justice for us usually means seeing those we consider our enemies punished by God, preferably in front of our very eyes. One thing we have perhaps failed to learn in our religious education is that human ways are not necessarily God's ways. The justice of God is not the justice that we entertain in our minds. It is important for people to realize this so they may not lose faith and become cynical when they are confronted with difficulties."

"The heart's ignorance of God, this lack of direct experience of God, renders humans incapable of knowing what it means to live apart from God."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mountain of Silence.

08/09/2011 page 24