Wicked ♥ (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess's Reviews > Shadow Heir

Shadow Heir by Richelle Mead

Jan 14, 12

bookshelves: ebooks-i-own, fey, mythology-inspired, paranormal-romance, smut, supernatural, urban-fantasy, winter-reads, 2012
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 08, 2012 — I own a copy

Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish

I'm just going to start this review by saying I enjoyed the book overall. The series was starting to lose it's momentum, but like any good author, Mead writes her series with an end in sight. I can't stand when a series goes on forever just to squeeze out some extra money, but I won't get into that here.

If you are a fan of the series, but haven't had a chance to pick this one up, you are probably aware of the infamous ending. I don't do spoilers in my reviews so I will just say this. I was very disappointed in Mead and Eugenie. Mead has every right to finish her series the way she wants to, but it did not endear me to Eugenie in any way. Also, I think Eugenie should cut her loses with Dorian. As soon as he finds out what she did at the end of this book, well, let's just say I don't see a relationship for them in the future. Being conscious of who Dorian is and what he desires most from life, I would think it would be obvious how he will take the news.

What I did enjoy about this book, was that we got to spend more time with the characters and see Eugenie have her babies. I felt the plot was well thought out and the writing was still as good as ever I was just bummed about how it all came together at the end. In no way was this a bad read for me. As a fan, I had expectations going in and unfortunately they were kind of slapped in the face during the last chapter.

This is still my favorite series of Mead's, and I hope she has some spin-off planned in the future to sate my curiosity about what happens next. Maybe a series about Jasmine?
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Heir.

5.0% "It is with great fear I read this book... So many horrible reviews! Can't say I'm surprised as the more I read Richelle Mead, the more I am disenchanted with her writing. Great author, but her books give bad messages and contain heroines who are completely selfish throughout and hardly ever grow up" 6 comments
25.0% "The set up for this book is pretty slow, but not altogether unemployable. Poor Dorian!"
32.0% "They're here! The babies are here! I'm so excited. I think this is my first book with a birth in it."
47.0% "Dorian wants to call Eugenie's son Thundro hahahaha!" 6 comments

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I third that. We were talking about how he would make a nice fur coat for Eugenie on my review thread, lol.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I thoroughly agree with your review.. LOL I feel like I loved Mead at first but now after reading all of her books, I'm a little disappointed with her.

Leigh yep!! so sadly, it did.... :(

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess I didn't have much of a problem with the book overall, but that ending was just...ugh. This just proves Richelle Mead cannot write a responsible, unselfish character. Eugenie must think she is god or something making a decision like that when it wasn't only her decision to make.

Leigh Jess ♥ Wickedly Bookish wrote: "I didn't have much of a problem with the book overall, but that ending was just...ugh. This just proves Richelle Mead cannot write a responsible, unselfish character. Eugenie must think she is god ..."

yep - ITA w/ you about Eugenie. it was a completely selfish decision, and i was sooooo disappointed that Mead left it that way. like you, i really enjoyed the book, right up until the very end. :(

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess I wonder if she's planning a follow up series like she is doing with VA with the new Bloodlines books. Maybe she intends to out Eugenie then.. who knows, but in my opinion, Eugenie is kinda wasting her time being in a relationship with Dorian because once he finds out, there is no way in hell he would forgive her for what she's done.

Wendy Darling SO agree with this review. And I think you're right about yet another spinoff of some kind in relation to this, there are just too any loose ends.

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess Way too many! I think because of the success of Bloodlines, which I haven't read yet but I hear it's popular, she purposefully made it that way so she could do a spinoff. I wouldn't mind, this used to be the series I got totally stoked about. Really sad it had to end the way it did. :-(

Wendy Darling Bloodlines: bleh.

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess That's how I'm starting to feel about most of her books. The cheating trend in all her series just kinda clicked for me, and I am starting to not be as big a fan of Richelle Mead as I used to be. Why is it all of Mead's heroines have to have some sort of cheating experience? Idk... just not something I value in a book.

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH It does seem like she is recycling her characters, doesn't it?

Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe) Loved your review I hate just Hated the ending of the book it threw off the entire appeal of the book for me.

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess I agree, it really took everything the previous books enforced and stomped on it. Eugene went from a strong, slightly selfish heroine to a completely unlikable and unrelatable character.