Dogg's Reviews > Rainbows End

Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge

Aug 06, 2011

Read in May, 2011

I finished the book sometime back. I had some difficulty reading the first 100 pages or so. I just could not get into the rhythm of the writing. Or maybe it was the rhythm of the characters. Or perhaps I should say the characters spoofing the characters. At times it could be quiet confusing. Trying to keep track of which of 3 or 4 different people were assuming the identity of some poor slob who knew he was being hacked, but could do nothing to protect himself or prevent the hack and ultimately was too embarrassed to even speak openly about the topic.

I ended up liking the main character, but I do not know if I personally liked the book all that much. I was never really fond of the idea that there are people watching my oh-so-dull life trying to figure out if what I was doing was a threat to society, my government, or myself. I think some of the ideas presented were never fully developed or needed to be developed in more depth to justify the level of paranoia displayed.

So, beware. They are watching. Have They figured out what you are up to yet? I can only hope that They have not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainbows End.