Quintin Merwe's Reviews > Anybody Out There?

Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes

Aug 06, 2011

Read in January, 2011

This is really a great book! From the start I had the feeling that this was going to be one of those books where the writer attempts to be funny throughout and I was worried about the merit of the story line.
However; after the first chapter I was already hooked! I simply could not put the book down, to such an extent that at times I completely lost track of time.
The brilliance in this book is in the vast spectrum of emotions the writer touches with the story - excellent balance of happy and sad, but put in such a way that the reader can't help but 'live' themselves into the possible scenarios that the main character goes through. If you have read the summary on the back cover of the book and you think you know what the book is about, you will change your mind once you get past the first few chapters.
It is amazing to think how I was giggling like a little girl at times and in the very next chapter, dropped down an abyss of heartbreaking sadness to be pulled back by the superb use of tension breaking sections. The emails referenced in the book kept me sane in a sense.
This balance is where a nerve is truly touched and it is more often than not this understanding, detail and story telling genius that gives power to a writer like Marian over her audience.
I am now truly a fan and understand what everyone was raving about. This is a 'have to read'!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anybody Out There?.