Jeanette's Reviews > Home: A Memoir of My Early Years

Jul 11, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, 2008
Read in June, 2008

I really knew nothing about Julie Andrews before reading this book. I'd seen her musicals and a few of her movies and that was about it.
In this memoir Andrews tells the story of her early life going from a young vaudeville star in England to a Broadway celebrity.
For the most part, I thought it was an interesting book. While the book was written with the grace and dignity that Andrews has come to be known for I found it interesting to learn that she might not be as squeaky clean as the image she puts out there would have you believe. This was not your typical tawdry celebrity memoir filled with garish and explicit details but Andrews did not necessarily have the life I would have expected. Her growing up years were not easy and frankly I thought her mother was pretty horrendous. I was impressed by how complimentary and kind Andrews was in her descriptions of her mother. After all that happened she could have easily put her mother through the wringer but she didn't take that road.
I would recommend this book to fans of Julie Andrews or fans of the theater in general. There was a lot of history and lots of name dropping of people in the theater that I am completely unfamiliar with. She really lost my interest at times because of this.
The book also ended very abruptly. There were so many unfinished stories that I have to assume she is writing a second memoir. This one ends just after the birth of her daughter and as Andrews is leaving for California to start filming Mary Poppins. I was left wondering what happened to her family and what happened to her first husband? Throughout the book she talks about and refers to her second husband but when this book ended she was still happily married to her first husband so what happened? I can only hope my assumption about another memoir is true so that some of my questions can be answered.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

alisonwonderland have you read this one? if so, did you like it?

message 2: by Jeanette (last edited Jun 30, 2008 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeanette I just finished it Saturday. I have some scribbled notes that I will hopefully turn into a review within the next few days. It was alright.

Barbara I'm almost at the end and I have to agree with you, I feel like it's getting more and more interesting and then it's just going to end! I hope she has a part 2 in the works.