Heather's Reviews > Educating Esmé: Diary of a Teacher's First Year

Educating Esmé by Esmé Raji Codell

Apr 14, 08

bookshelves: education, adult-literature
Read in April, 2008

Madame Esme's first year teaching diary was an interesting read. I found myself relating to Esme on many levels, remembering experiences that I have had in the classroom. I like the brutal honesty that Esme used to describe the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of teaching fifth grade in an inner-city Chicago school. Esme had such confidence (bordering on being cocky or pompous although rightfully so in the instances she describes), than I remember having that first year - but she met every challenge head on, and she taught her students so many valuable lessons - from being the parent that those students needed to the exciting teacher that encouraged her students to learn and grow- the evidence is shown as her students had the best scores in the school at the end of the year. Esme shares several teaching ideas that one could put into practice tomorrow in the classroom - practical for teachers today. I also thought it was interesting to note that Esme became a school librarian after a few years of classroom teaching, and she continues to write today - two of her books that I am interested in reading are Sahara Special and How to Get Your Child to Love Reading. Her web site is http://www.planetesme.com/
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Educating Esmé.