Paul's Reviews > The Confession

The Confession by John Grisham

Aug 06, 11

Read in July, 2011

"The Confession" is an interesting book and a page-turner. It details the fictional conviction of an innocent African-American man (Donte Drumm)in Texas for the murder of a white cheerleader. His conviction is the result of racism, politics, and a Texas lynch mob mentality. The verdict was so blatantly wrong that the plot smacks of unrealism. Nevertheless, this book is an unabashed repudiation of the death penalty. And since I personally think the death penalty should be abolished (except for anybody who hurts my family), I enjoyed the book. The protagonist defense attorney, Robbie Flack, seems unreal in that his firm seeks every possible avenue to defend their client - for minimal compensation. But I've been involved with a death penalty case and have seen first-hand an extremely hard-working and dedicated death-penalty defense attorney...so that part is more real than most readers would suspect. There is a minister involved with the case and I found his part was not compelling and somewhat labored. But overall this is a nice light vacation read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confession.