cecilia's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Aug 06, 11

bookshelves: sitting-covers
Read in July, 2011

If you’ve lived under a rock and haven’t gotten around to reading TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY yet like I did until recently, THIS IS THE BOOK WORTH GOING OUT INTO THE BIG AND SCARY WORLD! Yes, you heard me. This book is worth your life – and his life – and her life – and everyone else’s life.

In other news, TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY is amazing AMAZING.

Right from the beginning, Hannah captures my attention as Clay listens to her tapes and unravel the reasons why she found nothing left to live for. Her narrative is haunting and beautiful and unforgettable, and the saddest part is that I know that we would have been the greatest of friends because that is how much I connected with her personality. She sounded like an amazing girl with so much to live for, but her hopes and dreams suffocated as the pressure of vicious rumors and bullying never let up – and NO ONE realized how much she was hurting.

Which goes to show how much each of us can stay inside our little bubbles, maybe sharing space occasionally with a neighboring bubble, but never long enough to get hurt or show hurt. The perspective of Clay brings an additional richness of emotions to Hannah’s tragedy, and I truly have to commend Jay Asher for choosing to write this story from 2 perspectives. Here is a guy who is among the reasons why a girl ended her life, but as I watched Clay go through the tapes, I realized that he may not be 100% bad guy. I mean 1/13 of the problem, but still… Clay’s reactions makes this story whole. He cannot undo the past, but Hannah’s honest last reflections has influenced how he lives out the future.

I realize I am truly fortunate to have had a mostly positive high school experience, and bullying never seemed to be much of an issue. To read books like TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY and some girls are and also the news that confirm these books are based on real occurrences – it makes me worry what we are feeding the children. Was bullying always this bad? Has it gotten worse, and why? What messages are we unknowingly relaying to these kids? Am I truly that buried inside my bubble that I never realized how awful the world has gotten?

I know that I definitely have to re-read TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY because I have not digged deep enough yet into the layers that Jay Asher set down with great care. Which is saying a lot because I don’t usually feel the urge to dive back into a book for more meaning – and for some reason, TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY makes me want to get back in the dirt and grab hold of all the buried treasures!