Becky's Reviews > Clockwork, Or, All Wound Up

Clockwork, Or, All Wound Up by Philip Pullman

Aug 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, historical-fiction, mystery-and-thrillers, owned, reviewed, young-adult
Read on August 06, 2011

I picked this book up on a whim at the thrift store today. I'd never read any of Pullman's 'other' stories, meaning the ones that are not part of the His Dark Materials trilogy, so I wanted to see what this would be like.

From the description, it sounded very different than what it actually was. It was OK, but I had expected better. HDM isn't a favorite of mine, but it would be a lie to say that it didn't affect me. The characters in that book, and their connections with each other, really left a lasting impression. This, not so much. It really felt written for children in a way that The Golden Compass et al was not written for children, and by that, I mean, kind of simplistically and felt kind of dumbed down. I hate using that phrase when talking about children's and young adult books, because I do not think that a book written for children is "dumbed down" when read by an adult. I love children's books and stories, and I continue to enjoy them to this day. But I know that Pullman can write much better than shown here. Much, much better, which is why I use the term.

There was just something that felt missing here. It felt like a story with no life in it, which is ironic given the subject of the story. It felt very "telly" and not at all "showy". I wanted more. I wanted a better resolution, I wanted... something.

If I was 7 or 8, maybe, this story would have been cool. A little twisted, but still with the same recognizable themes. But today, I just didn't feel it, and knowing what Pullman CAN do, I was not at all impressed with what he DID do in this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork, Or, All Wound Up.

08/06/2011 page 128

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Have you read the shorts that are set in the HDM world? They were worthwhile--I listened to them on audio.