Marc Maitland's Reviews > The Cement Garden

The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan

M 50x66
Sep 29, 2012

Read from September 22 to 28, 2012

There are aspects of this book which are unbelievably dark, and equally there are light-hearted aspects of it, all bound together by an underlying sexual tension that some might find mildly erotic, other disgusting. In whatever combination of the foregoing characteristics one find, it is a compelling book to read.

One never quite knows what is coming next, and yet at some points there is a tantalising predictability, and am I the only reader who cannot be certain as to what creamy sticky fluid Jack was rubbing onto his sister’s back whilst she lay face-down whilst he stood with his legs between parted legs?! Was it really sun-tan lotion?

I have only a few of Mr. McEwan’s books still to read, and this one was no disappointment. There are aspects of all of his works which I suspect are autobiographical, and if any of this dark tale has featured in his early life, then I take my hat off to him for retaining his sanity and continuing to write such vivid and tight prose which continues to entertain!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cement Garden.