Celeste's Reviews > The Lost Diary of Don Juan: An Account of the True Arts of Passion and the Perilous Adventure of Love

The Lost Diary of Don Juan by Douglas Carlton Abrams

Dec 14, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Read in December, 2008

I only picked this book up because it was very cheap and it looked interesting, at least the cover art was. To quote my students: It sucked.

The writing was mediocre at best. The lesson to be learned here, just because someone works in the book industry doesn't make that person a good writer. The styling and word choice showed the obvious attempts to make it quick and interesting but left me thinking it was melodramatic and pompous. The characterization was one-dimensional and yawn worthy. The plot was about as deep as a mud puddle. And the sex scenes made me laugh out loud. One would think that a passionate sex scene from a male author would be something different and would leave out all the flowery euphemisms for body parts and foreplay, but it was so bad that there needed to be additional entries in the glossary! And I also got the impression that the author was thinly veiling boasts on his tantric abilities through Don Juan. Really, it took me so long to read because it was just that bad.

Never again will I touch this author's works.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Diary of Don Juan.

message 1: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Wow, you really didn't like this book. Too bad you couldn't make it through "Catch 22". I would like to have seen your review of that! But I'm just curious, what kept you reading through this book when you couldn't get through one of the most popular books of the past 100 years? Looking for the sex scenes to improve?
I would demand that DCA give you your money back. Imagine a Title like he used and then having a thin plot. The nerve.
I hope I can find a cheap copy and see what you're talking about. But I guarantee you I won't be fantasizing about the author's tantric abilities as I read it.

message 2: by Celeste (last edited Dec 16, 2008 07:48PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Celeste Eh, I make my best effort to finish a book even if it's horrible. I see it as much of a badge of honor to power through a stinking piece of writing as much as successfully injesting Melville. I may not have gotten past page 100 of Catch 22, but rest assured that I will finish it one day. Unlike this cruddy little Don Juan book (which makes me seriously wonder what the heck is going on in the publishing industry), I felt like I was reading the same page in Catch 22 over and over. This book wasn't repetitive, only predictable. And to be clear, there was no fantasizing going on here. I only mentioned it because I read about his real life research and non-fiction writings thinking, "Nah...seriously?" And yeah, seriously!