Jessica's Reviews > Wild & Steamy

Wild & Steamy by Meljean Brook

Given that you can get the whole anthology for about $3, if you're a steampunk, PNR or UF reader, this is well worth the risk even if you're unfamiliar with the authors.

The Blushing Bounder by Meljean Brook : 5 stars
Steampunk romance
Delightful. Manages to incorporate steampunk mechanisms like nanotechnology along with gender and race issues and the focus is still on the romance between a clumsy suitor and his reluctant bride. Perfect introduction to the world of the Iron Seas if you're unfamiliar with it. Perfect exploration of secondary characters if you're a fan. The first chapter had me almost crying; the conclusion had me smiling. I liked Constable Newberry in The Iron Duke and I like him all the more now that I've read this story.

Vixen by Jill Myles : 4 stars
Shifter/ménage romance
A fun story with engaging leads. Miko is a were-fox or, as her mother likes to claim, a kitsune. This gives her strong sexual needs that she has a hard time coping with within the bounds of mainstream society, so she's secluded herself in the country. Sam and Jeremiah are cat shifters who've been sent to protect her. I could understand Miko's reasons for isolating herself, and I like that her reasons were pragmatic rather than self-loathing. I also liked her interactions with her unwanted protectors. And the strip poker game, my goodness. I just wish we'd been able to spend more time with the characters.

Kitten-Tiger & The Monk by Carolyn Crane : 3 stars
Psychic power/romantic UF
The heroine starts off on a quest for sort-of redemption in the form of a complete memory erase; she wants to be "rebooted" (because who wants to actually deal with their problems?). She needs help from a man she betrayed. The worldbuilding was highly interesting, but the characters... meh. They were both too selfish, self-loathing and short-sighted for me to like them, but not charismatically villainous enough to enjoy in other ways. But, the characterizations were all deliberately, skillfully done. So, while I don't care for this kind of hero or heroine personally, they were vividly drawn and I can easily see others enjoying their story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild & Steamy.

08/07/2011
30.0% "Temperance and Constable Newberry (from Meljean's Iron Seas series) are so... oh! Seriously, I almost cried at the end of the first chapter. So good!"
08/08/2011
60.0% "Wasn't expecting the 2nd story to be M/F/M. Cute, steamy, wish it had been a little longer though."